History SA has a range of travelling displays available to community groups and facilities, local government and schools for free. Engaging and professionally produced, the displays are simple to transport and install. Email us or call 08 8203 9888 to enquire about availability and scheduling.
Download the exhibition list and complete the booking form (under Resources on right) and return to us to confirm booking.
The sixties and seventies was a time of great political and social turmoil, generational division and intense personal passion and commitment. Blue Jeans Jungle Greens examines both the conflict in Vietnam and the anti-war campaign on the home front, as well as other social movements of the time. This display draws on the stories – and the photo albums – of South Australians, and reminds us of the power of the past in people’s lives. The display comprises eight double-sided pull-up banners.
This travelling exhibition tells the moving stories of the eight South Australians awarded the Victoria Cross in the First World War: Arthur Blackburn, Phillip Davey, Roy Inwood, Jørgen Jensen, John Leak, Arthur Sullivan, Lawrence Weathers and James Parks Woods.
The exhibition consists of seven double-sided pull-up banners and four wooden crates which double as plinths to display framed citations and replica sets of medals, including the VCs belonging to the 8 men. It also includes a schools’ resources kit. The exhibition was first produced in 2013 as a partnership between History SA and Veterans SA to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War.
Launched in 2015, this travelling exhibition recognises Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander military service. Despite discrimination in everyday life and in national enlistment policy, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people volunteered and served in all conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The service of the ten people in this display extends from the First World War to Afghanistan. Viewers will be moved by their courage and achievements. Call of Country consists of five double-sided A-frames and seven double-sided pull-up panels, which are light and easy to transport and set up. The display can be borrowed by community and service organisations, local libraries and educational organisations across South Australia, including on Aboriginal Lands.
This travelling exhibition tells the moving stories of the brave actions of five South Australians awarded the Victoria Cross and George Cross in the Second World War and the Vietnam War.
It comprises five double-sided pull-up banners telling the history of both awards, a background to South Australia and World War II and the Vietnam War and the stories of the five recipients: Peter Badcoe VC; Thomas Currie (Diver) Derrick VC; George Gosse GC; William (Bill) Kibby VC; and Lionel Matthews GC. The framed replica medals and citations of each man are also included. These come stored in three wooden crates which then double as plinths for their display.
A travelling display developed in 2005 to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign, updated and reprinted in 2014 in time for the Anzac Centenary. Australia’s first military engagement in Europe’s Great War began when Australian soldiers landed on Turkey’s Gallipoli Peninsula on 25 April 1915. Gallipoli has been hailed as Australia’s ‘baptism of fire’. This display focuses on the South Australian soldiers who became part of the ‘Anzac legend’ and on the South Australian organisations that worked for the war effort on the home front in 1915.
Comprising of seven double sided pull up banners, it was researched and written by History SA with sponsorship by Veterans SA and RSL (SA Branch).
As part of the world's largest humanitarian movement, Red Cross has been part of Australian life since the Australian Branch of the British Red Cross was established nine days after the outbreak of the First World War. Created as part of Red Cross centenary celebrations in 2014 as a joint project of History SA and Red Cross (South Australian Division), this exhibition traces the history of the South Australian division and comprises seven double-sided pull up banners.
This exhibition offers a glimpse into the lives of children living in South Australia over successive generations, in both the happy and more challenging times. Comprising five double sided pull up banners, throughout the display there are QR codes that when scanned using the appropriate mobile device will link the user with additional online images. There are also memory prompts within the exhibition text designed to assist the viewer to recall their own childhood and initiate conversation. Photographs are from the collections of five South Australian community history groups: City of Holdfast Bay Local History Centre, Embroiderers’ Guild Museum of South Australia, Gawler National Trust Museum, Mallala Museum and the Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society, and incorporating images from the South Australian Government Photographic Collection. There are additional images to those on the panels shown as a continuous slide show on digital photo frames. The host organisation can augment the display with items from their collection or from members of their community.
The display tells the story of the petition written in 1923 by Ngarrindjeri woman Ellen Kropinyeri arguing against the ‘right’ of the government to remove Aboriginal children from their families. The petition was presented to the Governor, Sir George Bridges, by three Ngarrindjeri elders and received widespead, sympathetic, publicity at the time. Neither the petition nor the public support stopped the authorities taking Aboriginal children away.
The display focuses on the ‘Yes’ campaign, which succeeded in 1967 in changing the Australian Constitution and is remembered as the moment when Indigenous Australians achieved citizenship in their own land. It remembers the people who came together and worked for the ‘Yes’ vote, and South Australia’s contribution. It also explains the constitutional and political background to the referendum.
The display was produced in 2007 as a partnership between History SA and Reconciliation South Australia to mark the fortieth anniversary of the referendum. It comprises four double-sided pull-up banners.